Sunday, January 26, 2014

DIY Refurbishing Dining Room Chairs

Several months ago Patrick and I refurbished our dining room chairs. The chairs that originally came with my dining room table were falling apart. I decided to buy new chairs instead of an entire new table set because my grandmother had given me this and I wanted to keep it.




I don't know if you guys know this but chairs can be expensive! I knew that I wanted something that had padding for material because we did our kitchen in black and white and I wanted the chairs to match. The chairs that came with it were completely wood.

I looked over Craigslist and found the ones that we bought. We believe they are oak. And I got all 4 chairs for $35! You can't beat that. They are super comfortable and I like the side arms on them.

For this we needed:
Material
Scissors
Staple Gun
Screwdriver 

Here is the before and after photo of the chairs.


The chair's material to begin with wasn't horrible. But it didn't match a thing in our kitchen. I found some pretty black and white material at Walmart. We bought 2 yards of it.


I didn't take photos of us taking the chair apart. But it was quite simple. All we had to do was turn the chair over and unscrew 4 screws from the bottom of the seat cushion with a phillips head screwdriver. Then we popped the seat out. Voila! (We didn't need to remove the original seat covering. We simply put the new material over it)

Next Patrick (who did most of the work so I could take photos) put the material underneath the seat cushion then cut it accordingly. Make sure to leave plenty of material to fold over the bottom of the seat. (We didn't use a ruler or anything)


As you can see he has folded the material over the bottom part of the seat. At this point I was on the other side of the seat holding the other end of the material. We stretched it tightly so it would be snug and not leave any creases in the material.


While I was holding the other end of the material tightly, Patrick used the staple gun to staple the material to the bottom of the seat cushion. The corners are the only tricky parts. Just make sure to fold the material over and hold tightly so there are no buckles in it.


It didn't take very long with two of us working together on it. One person could probably do it but it really helps to have someone else holding the material tightly in place because you do not want any spots sticking up. We used several staples so that we knew it would be held tightly into place.


And here it is. It only took us about 30 minutes to do all 4 chairs. I love it. We may end up painting the chairs and table black or white later on, but for right now it matches the wood in our kitchen. 

What's also good is that if we ever wanted to change material all we would have to do would be to remove the staples from the bottom of the cushion and then remove this material.


Here the chairs are with the table. The woods do not perfectly match but I like the contrast because the top of the table has several different colors in it. 

I also made a table runner out of the left over material.


Hope this helps anyone who wants to refurbish some simple chairs!

-Ashli


No comments:

Post a Comment